Yes we have a famous battlefield to tour by car, bicycle, horseback, and even on foot but we boast a wealth of activities beyond those historic acres.
From historic taverns to ethnic cuisine, farm-to-table dining to unique edibles, the tastes of Gettysburg are sure to please every palate.
With adventures to suit every budget, Gettysburg and Adams County businesses offer plenty of packages to help visitors create their dream vacations.
How we make a difference in Adams County
By partnering with local agencies to provide vital services in three focus areas:
• Children enter school ready to learn
• Youth graduate from high school on time
• Youth are “ready by 21” to be successful young adults
• Foster youth transition from care to independence
Income and Financial Stability
• Family and individual basic and emergency needs are met
• Families and individuals experience financial stability
• Individuals, families and corporations have volunteer opportunities
• Individuals with disabilities become independent
• Families and individuals are physically safe and family violence is prevented
• Adults and children lead healthy lifestyles
By widening the safety net
United Way accesses federal emergency food and shelter funds to help families in crisis. These dollars are in addition to resources available through agencies across the county. When funds are available, we are able to help pay utility bills or housing costs.
By investing in quality early childhood education and care
When it comes to securing the future, children are the place to start. We invest in early learning and parental involvement through United Way Ready to Learn, a countywide collaborative initiative. Ready to Learn focuses on promoting quality care, providing information to parents, easing the transition from early care to elementary school, and promoting Keystone STARS.
By getting people involved
The United Way Volunteer Center brings people and resources together to find creative solutions to community needs. It connects people with volunteer service opportunities through family-friendly events, including the Martin Luther King Service Day, Postal Food Drive, Give It Up For Good Sale, and Holiday Family Outreach. The Volunteer Center maintains a comprehensive database of on-going and one-time individual and group volunteer opportunities available in Adams County. Sign up online at 1-800-Volunteer.org. By combining the power of the purse with hands-on involvement.