Holiday House Tour Itinerary. This tour is self-guided and may be completed in any order. Receive a wristband and program at your first stop.
The Dobbin House will give History and Tour of the Property between 9am-11am:
- Dobbin House – 89 Steinwehr Avenue, Gettysburg (717-334-2100); Built in 1776 by the Reverend Alexander Dobbin, this stone farmhouse was part of the Underground Railroad and was a witness to the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Guests will be treated to beautiful colonial era Christmas decorations on this tour.
The following properties are open from Noon-5pm:
- The Little Round Top Farm - (717-334-6905); The home is located on twelve pristine acres, which includes a large pond, numerous granite boulders, and a walking trail to the spot where General Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine Infantry saved the Union's flank.
- Baladerry Inn – 40 Hospital Road, Gettysburg (717-337-1342); Located to the south of Gettysburg, the George Bushman farm served as a field hospital for the Army of the Potomac. Hand-blown glass windows and wood floors serve as reminders of the past. Today the inn offers ten guest rooms and suites.
- Trinity United Church of Christ - 60 East High Street, Gettysburg (717-334-7266); The Church was formed in 1790 and started meeting at its current location in 1812. The present church's cornerstone was laid in 1851 and was remodeled in 1892. In 1863 the church served as a hospital for wounded soldiers in both armies during the Battle of Gettysburg. The church underwent several other changes before it was remodeled in 1990 to look like it does today.
- Inn at Herr Ridge – 900 Chambersburg Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325 (717-334-4332); The Inn at Herr Ridge was built as a tavern in 1815, adding lodging options in 1828 under the ownership of Frederick Herr. The house remained a tavern until 1868, when it was sold and became a farm. In 1977, a tavern was reopened on the site and now offers guests 17 distinctive guest rooms and suites.
- The Swope Manor – 58-60 York St. Gettysburg, PA 17325 (717-398-2655); This property dates back to 1793, with today’s brick building built in 1836 by George Swope. It remained a private home until the early 1900s. Renovated and opened as a bed and breakfast in May 2013, The Swope Manor offers 13 rooming options, including three executive suites.
- SCCAP Cafe – 153 N. Stratton St. Gettysburg (717-334-7634 ext. 175); South Central Community Action Programs is the non-profit organization recipient of funds raised through our annual House Tour. The Foodservice Development Program led by Chef Jeremy Schaffner is one of the career training programs offered through SCCAP. The café is open on weekdays for lunch and catering is available.
- Historic G.A.R. Hall – 53 E. Middle St. Gettysburg; Enjoy a tour of the historic G.A.R. Hall beautifully decorated for the upcoming holiday season while shopping for a "few of your favorite things!” The hall was originally a Methodist Episcopal Church and is the oldest standing church building in Gettysburg. It was sold to the local post of the Grand Army of the Republic in 1880 and remained in use until the 1930s. The property was acquired and restored by the Historic Preservation Society of Gettysburg-Adams County (HGAC) in 1988.
- Christ Lutheran Church – 30 Chambersburg Street, Gettysburg (717-334-5212); Built between 1835 and 1836, this historic church building was utilized as a hospital during and after the battle. In addition to many beautiful features of the building, the bell tower is original and the bell which has hung there since 1836 is still used every Sunday. Please return after the House Tour for the Songs and Stories of the Civil War candlelight program beginning at 8pm.
Don't miss out on this great tour. Check out Gettysburg Area Retail Merchants Association for more info on what to do in Gettysburg during the Holidays.
Tickets for the complete tour can be purchased directly from any one of our member Inns and if you stay at an IGA member Inn for the weekend of December 12th, you can take the Holiday House tour for free. If you are local to the Gettysburg area or unable to stay at one of our member Inns, you can purchase tickets online. For more information call 717-337-1342.