The National Park Serivce and Gettysburg Foundation present the 2017 Winter Lecture Series: Controversies, Myths, and Misconceptions- Refighting the Civil War at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum & Visitor Center.
Join in for a "Grand Review" of the meaning, significance, and impact of the battle of Gettysburg and the American Civil War. The series will touch on many different aspects of the Civil War in 1865 with programs expanding beyond the boundaries of the Gettysburg Campaign.
- January 7: Longstreet's Counter-march presented by Matt Atkinson,GNMP
- January 8: A New Birth of Freedom: Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation presented by Daniel Vermilya, GNMP
- January 14: Is Gettysburg America's Epic Tale, Central to Our National Identity? presented by Troy Harman, GNMP
- January 15: Mary Surratt: Guilty or Not Guilty presented by Karlton Smith, GNMP
- January 21: If These Things Could Talk: New Acquisitions presented by Tom Holbrook, GNMP
- January 22: The Battle of Monocacy: The Fight that Saved Washington D.C presented by Tracy Evans, Monocacy National Battlefield
January 28: Debacle at Balls Bluff: The Battle that Changed the War presented by Christopher Gwinn, GNMP
- January 29: "Vincit Qui Patitur": The Life of an American Armsmaker -Colonel Samuel Colt presented by Bert Barnett, GNMP
- February 4: The Fatal Halt at Cedar Creek
- February 5: "The Dawn of Peace"- Grant, Lee and the Lore of Appomattox presented by John Heiser, GNMP
- Febraury 11: The Controversial Court Martial of Fitz John Porter presented by Matt Atkinson,GNMP
- February 12: "A Simple Hop, Skip, and Jump?" Burnside and His Bridge at Antietam: A Reexamination presented by John Hoptak, GNMP
- February 18: On the McClellan Go Round—George McClellan and the Antietam Campaign presented by Daniel Vermilya, GNMP
- February 19: Longstreet & Huger: The Battle of Seven Pines, May 31 - June 1, 1862 presented by Karlton Smith, GNMP
- February 25: A Load of Buell? Another Look at The Cannoneer presented by Bert Barnett, GNMP
- February 26: Thomas Francis Meagher presented by Angie Atkinson,GNMP
- March 4: "In violation of the laws and customs of war:" Andersonville and the Trial of Henry Wirz
- March 5: An Audio-Visual Presentation of the National Park Service’s Coverage of the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War presented by Jason Martz, GNMP
- March 11: How Does The Civil War Qualify as the First Modern War? presented by Troy Harman, GNMP
For more information, call 717-334-4468. Can’t make it to Gettysburg? All Winter Lectures will be filmed and made available on our park YouTube page.